Monday, September 2, 2013

Tear Gas, Pink Slips, and FEAR!

And after I got up from the curb, after being fired onstage mid-performance by Ronnie, I continued on down the stairs, and through the crowd..  I staggered in a zig-zag out into the busy street traffic and threw myself at a bus .... I wasn't really trying to do myself in, but, you know theatrical types and street work, and I collapsed at the tail end of the bus (my best prat fall ever!) as the smoggy exhaust fogged out over the street ... and my friend Heidi came to retrieve me, and I rolled over on my back and said, "I can't seem to do anything right today."

We used to do real guerilla comedy pieces in the middle of demonstrations when the tear gas was flying and the cops were rushing us ... which worked ok, or so it seemed, until the day the clown got a little scared and ran off down an alley to evade the charging pigs.  I'd seen the look of "FEAR!" in Darryls' eyes, that day, too! 

The varieties in performance sometimes caused disturbances in us all.  And sometimes that was the result of an actor's reaction when facing the audience and picking someone to play to, and the audience interaction could be bothersome.  Sandy always looked skyward to the heavens when she moved and danced, and would sometimes bow low and reach out to the audience that way, and lovingly play into a person's eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment