Monday, September 2, 2013

My Hopes Shattered Like Thin Glass

Oh hell.  I got an email from Margaret today.  Over the past few years, I've wasted some precious time carrying on thinking occasionally about the Ezra and Cora Williams connection, and have mighty cosmological thoughts even as recently as yesterday when I saw a spiderweb in the early morning sun stretched out from the tile roof to the wrought iron patio gate, and tried to work in string theory (which is on the verge of being discounted, too) because the way the light reflected on the filament yesterday and there were small bits of dew that could make the string vibrate a bit and shift and propel a small particle object, you see.  and when spiders weave a web, they pluck the string to evenly distribute the sticky stuff.  but the sticky stuff can go out elsewhere, too, small particles ... into the universe.

She wrote to me in response to my email below:

How interesting to think of the vortagraph in terms of Vermeer's mirror. I don't think there is a link here, but I could be wrong. Vermeer's use is fascinating. As for 5th dimension, even though Ouspensky had a high profile in Pound's time, and Madame Blavatsky was still a revered name, I don't recall Pound dwelling on the 4th and 5th dimensions. Time as the fourth, was always in his mind, as well as George Antheil's. But neither went out on a limb to speak of dimensions or other ways of knowing the universe. Pound did say time is not chronological and treated it that way in his writing.
Much love,
Margaret

On 9/1/2013 1:33 PM, barbara flaska wrote:
Here's a great article in today's latimes on a new Telluride movie:

times on tim:

Vermeer as Conceptual predecessor to Pound's vortograph?

Didn't Vermeer do a self portrait the same way Pound et al tried with vortograph, even with a similar stance staring into the mirror (camera)?

And Pound's was shattered to show a move to the 4th dimension ... to indicate time ....
am i old hat here?

anyway, I hope you are well.  we are holding our own here, I am peddling french wines now, and xxxxx has closed out the La Costa crash pad.

she's trying to get the house clean before November .... (I told her, why bother with housekeeping, after 3 years it doesn't get much worse .... a joke stolen from a naked civil servant

 (Nevermind that other in between stuff about poetry and art, although that's where I should really be living, and probably should have been living all along, this is kind of the nitty gritty I was driving at, but the math was far too complex for me then and even later on and most especially in 1988, because I couldn't get past my thoughts about sub-nuclear foam.

*In 1993 the physicist IGerard 't Hooft put forward the holographic principle, which explains that the information about an extra dimension is visible as a curvature in a spacetime with one fewer dimension. For example, holograms are three-dimensional pictures placed on a two-dimensional surface, which gives the image a curvature when the observer moves. Similarly, in general relativity, the fourth dimension is manifested in observable three dimensions as the curvature path of a moving infinitesimal (test) particle. Hooft has speculated that the fifth dimension is really the spacetime fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment