Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Beacon













Beginning in 1966, the first year I first began visiting the estate on an infrequent and irregular basis, I was made aware that Dr. John W. Hopkins had installed a small beacon in the manor house.

This beacon was visible, through the windows of a great room that looked out towards the porte cochier. Resting on the top of a mahogany occasional table was a small plastic model of a flying saucer. Though always in view, the saucer was more noticable at night at night when it was plugged in and lit.


Dr. Hopkins never explained to any I know why he put the model there nor why he lit it at night when he was on the grounds. I thought it was a unique personal touch, and I was always strangely reassured by seeing the saucer illuminated at night when I walked past the great house on my way home. Just seeing that little bright saucer made me feel like a wayfayer seeing the porchlight welcoming me home, and that was all was well with the world.

The saucer may not have been exactly the same as the image above, which is the Adamski model. I recall Dr. Hopkins's model being a solid white plastic, which when glowed from within when lit like a nightlight and which had a small red bulb atop encased in a plastic bubble.

Here is a link to download the complete book by George Adamski, Inside the Space Ships.

http://www.universe-people.com/english/svetelna_knihovna/htm/en/en_kniha_inside_the_space_ships.htm
Retrieved: 7.25.11

Inside the model kit:
http://obskuristan.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/adamkitinside.jpg
Retrieved: 7.25.11

History of flying saucer model kits:
http://www.strangemag.com/scalemodelenigmas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment